To educate and engage parents and families in becoming informed partners in their undergraduate student's education, personal development, and success.
As the primary point of contact for the families of UMD undergraduate students, the Office of Parent and Family Affairs provides resources, services, and programs that promote a constructive partnership to support student success.
In an effort to enhance and strengthen the experience of students and their families, the Office of Parent and Family Affairs strives to accomplish the following objectives:
- Serve as an advocate for parents/families and the University, both internally and externally, by facilitating communication and creating a climate that fosters mutual understanding;
- Develop and implement programs and services that inform and educate parents and families about valuable resources, critical issues, and topics relevant to student success;
- Design and sponsor programs that promote parent and family involvement in the life of the University and create opportunities for participation in their student's experience;
- Improve the services and resources provided to first-generation; Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC); and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) families and enhance their engagement with the university community;
- Provide opportunities for families to support programs and services of the University of Maryland and the Division of Student Affairs.